Internship Position Description
Administrative Support Intern - Clerk-Recorder's Office (unpaid internship)
Name and Location of Agency/Department Requesting Intern:
Orange County Clerk-Recorder's Office
Hall of Finance and Records
12 Civic Center Plaza
Santa Ana, CA 92701
Functions of Agency/Department:
The Orange County Clerk-Recorder is a directly elected countywide official who is responsible for maintaining and safeguarding the public record.
The Orange County Clerk-Recorder oversees a department that is responsible for examining and recording all documents that deal with real property and establishing ownership of land in Orange County, or as required by state law, and maintaining an official record of all documents for public access.
In addition, the Orange County Clerk-Recorder serves as the Commissioner of Marriages for the county. The Clerk-Recorder’s Office keeps the Birth, Death and Marriage records for Orange County, and performs civil wedding ceremonies. The department also accepts Passport applications, files Fictitious Business Name Statements, registers professional licenses including notary publics, administers oaths of office, files surveys, maps and related documents, files Environmental Impact Reports, and provides certified copies of records requested by the public.
The Orange County Clerk-Recorder also oversees the Orange County Archives, which features a premier collection of government records and other materials documenting the rich history of Orange County.
Duties include assisting staff with day-to-day activities within a governmental department. Students or recent graduates will perform basic office duties as well as activities that include the application of higher-level skills acquired through academic training or experience. Duties may include one or more of the following:
- Assist with the preparation and distribution of letters, press releases and concept letters to local media;
- Research, analyze and summarize current or pending legislation;
- Conduct research and analysis for special assignments or projects;
- Assist with public policy issues that affect the department;
- Update and/or create resource materials;
- Assist with newly created Anti-fraud Program; and
- Provide staff support in creating and gathering material for advertising, collaborations, annual reports, TV, radio, newsletters/brochures, classifieds, displays/signs/posters, presentations, direct mail, special events, etc.
This position is best suited for students or recent graduates, majoring in or having a strong interest in: Political Science, Public Administration, Law, Public Affairs, Social Sciences, Social Ecology, Public Policy, Communications, Public Relations, Business or related fields.
Skills, Training or Qualifications:
Excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to research information using various resources and prepare reports and other correspondence; experience with Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word and Excel; ability to exercise care and sensitivity in completing projects; ability to organize and prioritize various projects and meet deadlines; ability to work with little supervision in a fast-paced environment.
Previous office experience preferred. A basic knowledge of Orange County/state government is a plus. Professional appearance and business attire required. We are seeking reliable, outgoing and mature candidates.
Minimum 10 - 15 hours per week for 3 - 6 months. Hours must be scheduled during regular business hours (Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.). Interns able to schedule the maximum hours/duration listed for the internship generally gain a more in-depth experience.
Benefits Available to Intern:
Although this is an unpaid internship that does not lead to permanent employment, students and recent graduates are offered an excellent opportunity to:
- Build resumes/work history and explore career options
- Apply skills and knowledge acquired in an academic setting to the workplace
- Intern with one of the premier employers in the region
- Fulfill college/university internship requirements
- Network with professionals in their fields of interest
Background screening for this internship does not require live scan fingerprinting.