Internship Position Description
Communications Intern - OC Parks (unpaid internship)
Name and Location of Agency/Department Requesting Intern:
OC Parks/Communications Group
Irvine Ranch Historical Park
Irvine, CA 92602
Functions of Agency/Department:
OC Parks manages nearly 60,000 acres of parks, historical and coastal facilities and open space for the County of Orange as part of OC Community Resources.
OC Parks includes roughly 32,000 acres in 20 urban and wilderness parks, 7 miles of beaches and other coastal facilities and 27,000 acres of open space lands. It also encompasses 243 miles of existing bikeways and trails, as well as significant historical landmarks.
OC Parks offers a dynamic and innovative work environment in which individuals are encouraged to utilize their talents, skills and creativity to address community needs and challenges. The division’s communications unit focuses on generating a community-wide awareness of the resources, services and amenities available through OC Parks.
Interns will assist OC Parks communications staff with production of reports, letters, memos, spreadsheets, events and specifications. Duties will include the following:
- Develop one or more major marketing-related projects
- Prepare electronic files, spreadsheets, reports and paper documents
- Assist staff with day-to-day office operations
- Represent OC Parks at various events
- Help manage OC Parks' website and social media presence
Internship is best suited for students or recent graduates who have completed coursework and/or gained experience in communications, marketing, advertising or related fields.
Skills, Training or Qualifications:
The ideal candidate has intermediate proficiency in MS Office Suite software; excellent written and oral communication skills; and knowledge of/experience in communication and marketing techniques.
Minimum 15 - 20 hours per week for 3 - 6 months. Hours must be scheduled during regular business hours (Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.). Applicants able to schedule the maximum hours/duration listed for the internship typically gain a more in-depth experience. Opportunities to perform some projects off site on an as-needed basis may be available.
Benefits Available to Intern:
Although this is an unpaid internship that does not lead to permanent employment, students and recent graduates are offered an excellent opportunity to:
- Build resumes and explore career options
- Apply academic skills and knowledge to the workplace
- Develop and expand their professional portfolios
- Fulfill college/university internship requirements
- Network in their fields of interest with professionals who are dedicated to making a positive difference in Orange County
Required Background Screening:
All internships with OC Parks require a background screening against local, state and national criminal databases. Applicants will be required submit their full legal name, physical address, date of birth and Social Security number. Applicants are prohibited from internships if they have been convicted of:
- Any sex offense
- Any violent felony
- Any other felony within the past 10 years
- All misdemeanor violent felonies within the past 7 years
- All misdemeanor drug and alcohol offenses within the past 10 years
- Multiple misdemeanor offenses within the last 5 years
- Any misdemeanor that relates to functions of the assignment, at the discretion of OC Parks
- Any pending cases awaiting adjudication
The background screening normally takes one - two weeks for clearance.
How to Apply:
In addition to the application requirements that can be accessed at the link listed below, prospective interns must provide a writing sample.