Internship Position Description
Graphic Art Design Intern (unpaid internship)
Name and Location of Agency/Department Requesting Intern:
OC Waste & Recycling
300 North Flower Street
Santa Ana, CA 92703
While it is anticipated that the intern will tour a landfill site or two to broaden his/her understanding of our work, the reporting location will always be at the headquarters building listed above. Transportation to and from the landfill will be provided by an OC Waste & Recycling employee.
Functions of Agency/Department:
OC Waste & Recycling (OCWR) is responsible for managing the County’s solid waste disposal system. The system consists of three active regional landfill operations, 20 closed solid waste disposal sites, and four household hazardous waste collection centers.
OCWR offers a dynamic and innovative work environment in which individuals are encouraged to utilize their talents, skills and creativity to address community needs and challenges. The intern will create graphics for the department’s Government and Community Relations (G&CR) division and the Program Development and Support Services Section (PDSS). Both G&CR and PDSS must consistently present compelling visual presentations and materials.
The intern will assist in generating visually compelling graphics for presentations and for written material and will also work with staff on one or more of the following projects:
- Create impactful marketing materials that follow County style guidelines including, but not limited to, County presentations, strategic plans, posters, and print collateral for reports and heavily attended public events
- Design internal displays of press coverage and County announcement posters
- Produce materials suitable to upgrade web content, while maintaining high quality of execution
- Develop unique design components that fit within established design parameters
- Create business process flow charts and work diagrams using either Publisher or Visio
Internship is best suited for students or recent graduates who have completed course work and/or gained experience in graphics design, illustration, design and visual communication, advertising or related fields.
Skills, Training or Qualifications:
The ideal candidate has intermediate proficiency in MS Office Suite software, excellent written and oral communication skills, and extensive knowledge of some or all of the following programs: Adobe Creative Suite Software, Publisher, Photoshop and/or Visio.
Flexible schedules that consist of 8 - 15 hours per week for one or more semesters or quarters are available. Hours must be scheduled during regular business hours (Monday – Friday between 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.). Interns able to schedule the maximum hours/duration listed for the internship typically gain a more in-depth experience.
Benefits Available to Intern:
Although this is an unpaid internship that does not lead to paid employment, students and recent graduates are offered an excellent opportunity to:
- Build resumes and portfolios
- Explore career options
- Apply academic skills and knowledge to the workplace
- Fulfill college/university internship requirements
- Network in their fields of interest with professionals who are dedicated to making a positive difference in Orange County
- Intern with one of the premier employers in the region
In addition to the application requirements that can be accessed at the link listed below, prospective interns must provide a portfolio or examples of their graphic art/design and/or web design work.