Internship Position Description
OC Parks Planning and Design Assistant (unpaid internship)
Name and Location of Agency/Department Requesting Intern:
OC Parks Planning and Design
Orange County Community Resources/OC Parks
Irvine, CA 92602
Functions of Agency/Department:
Orange County Community Resources/OC Parks operates regional and recreational facilities and manages historical and natural resources. These 60,000 acres of parkland and open space include regional and wilderness parks, nature preserves and recreational trails, historic sites, and harbors and beaches. OC Parks Planning and Design Division produces the planning and design documents that are used to construct, operate and manage the County's open space.
Interns will assist OC Parks Planning and Design Project Management staff with capital improvement and rehabilitation projects. Assignments will include the following:
- Prepare e-files, CAD drawings, reports and project correspondence.
- Produce project specifications and cost estimates.
- Prepare reports, exhibits and maps for presentation.
- Conduct project research.
- Research utility information.
- Assist in day-to-day project-related assignments.
Internship is best suited for students or recent graduates with knowledge/experience in landscape architecture/design, horticulture, architecture or coastal/civil engineering (drainage, slopes, utilities, etc.).
Skills, Training or Qualifications:
Knowledge and intermediate proficiency in the following computer programs: Microsoft Office Suite Software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), CAD software (AutoCad/latest version), Adobe Creative Suite ( Photoshop, Illustrator & In-Design) and scheduling software (Microsoft Project). The ideal candidate will have a good command of the software programs listed above, will enjoy working in a team environment, and will incorporate a "can-do" attitude into each project or assignment.
Minimum 16 - 24 hours per week for 3 - 6 months, with a minimum of 192 hours required. Hours must be scheduled during regular business hours (Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.). Interns who schedule the maximum hours/duration listed for this position will gain a more in-depth experience.
Benefits Available to Intern:
Although this is an unpaid internship that does not lead to paid employment, students and recent graduates are offered an excellent opportunity to:
- Build resumes and explore career options
- Apply academic skills and knowledge to the workplace
- Fulfill college/university internship requirements
- Network in their fields of interest with professionals who are dedicated to making a positive difference in Orange County
- Intern with one of the premier employers in the region
Required Background Screening:
All internships with OC Parks require a background screening against local, state and national criminal databases. Applicants will be required to submit their full legal name, physical address, date of birth and Social Security number. Applicants are prohibited from internships if they have been convicted of:
- Any sex offense
- Any violent felony
- Any other felony within the past 10 years
- All misdemeanor violent felonies within the past 7 years
- All misdemeanor drug and alcohol offenses within the past 10 years
- Multiple misdemeanor offenses within the last 5 years
- Any misdemeanor that relates to functions of the assignment, at the discretion of OC Parks
- Any pending cases awaiting adjudication
The background screening normally takes one - two weeks for clearance.
How to Apply:
In addition to the application requirements that can be accessed at the link listed below, prospective interns must provide a portfolio or examples of design work/graphics projects and a writing sample.