Purpose of Policy
The County recognizes that checks and balances are essential to mitigate the subjectivity of acceptable use, and will take measures to ensure fairness when dealing with cases of inappropriate use. The County of Orange's Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) is intended to help protect our customers, and the Internet community, from the inappropriate use of the Internet. A customer's use of the County of Orange's website constitutes acceptance of this AUP. We reserve the right to revise and update this AUP from time to time. The following sections of our acceptable use policy explain:
- Use Violations and Descriptions
- Content Submission
- Third Party Information
- Reporting Inappropriate Use
- Consequences of Inappropriate Use
Adding, removing, or modifying identifying network header information in an effort to deceive or mislead is prohibited. Attempting to impersonate any person by using forged headers or other identifying information is prohibited. The use of anonymous remailers and nicknames does not constitute impersonation. Using modified headers in news postings in order to avoid spam e-mail address collectors is allowed provided appropriate contact information is contained in the body of the posting.
- Privacy Violations: You may not attempt to gain access to any electronic systems, networks or data, without proper authorization.
- Threats: Verbal or written threats of bodily harm, libelous comments or destruction of property made through email, online communities, or uploaded files or links are prohibited.
- Harassment: Activity constituting harassment toward any individual or group for any reason, including, but not limited to, race, religion, gender, or sexual orientation, is prohibited.
- Illegal Use: The use of the County portal for illegal purposes is prohibited.
- Network Disruptions: Any activities that adversely affect the ability of other people or systems to use the County's portal are prohibited. This includes but is not limited to "denial of service" (DoS) attacks against another network host or individual user, the known propagation or downloading of viruses, and all forms of hacking. Interference with or disruption of other network users, network services or network equipment is prohibited. It is your responsibility to ensure that your network is configured in a secure manner. You may not, through action or inaction, allow others to use your network for illegal or inappropriate actions.
Directly or indirectly sending viruses, hoaxes, chain letters, advertisements, unsolicited commercial e-mail, or large volumes of unsolicited e-mail, whether or not that e-mail is commercial in nature, is strictly prohibited.
C. Content Submission
Content submissions become property of Orange County, which the County may use at its discretion to the extent permissible by law.
D. Third Party Information
In general, information presented on this website, unless otherwise indicated, is considered in the public domain. It may be distributed or copied as permitted by law. However, the County does make use of copyrighted data (e.g., photographs), which may require additional permissions prior to your use. In order to use any information on this website not owned or created by the County, you must seek permission directly from the owning (or holding) sources.
E. Reporting Violations of Acceptable Use Policy
The County of Orange asks that anyone who believes that there is a violation of this AUP should direct any relevant information to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org
F. A Consequences of Acceptable Use Policy Violation
The County of Orange may take any one or more of the following actions in response to violations of this policy:
- Issue written or verbal warnings;
- Suspend the customer's posting privileges; or
- Report the offender(s) to the appropriate legal authorities and Internet Service Providers.